BONESHAKER Coming to the Big Screen!

2 years, 11 months ago, around lunchtime

OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS. So this is real, it’s true, and it’s happening. Because I will otherwise just babble at you incoherently, I will cut/paste the pertinent info from this article at Deadline.com:

Los Angeles, CA – November 30, 2011 – Brian Oliver, President of Cross Creek Pictures, Simon Oakes, Vice-Chairman of Exclusive Media Group and President & CEO of Hammer Films and Guy East and Nigel Sinclair, Co-Chairmen of Exclusive Media Group (“Exclusive”) announced today that Hammer has acquired the rights to the novel “Boneshaker” by Cherie Priest for adaptation to the big screen. Project will be co-produced by Hammer and Cross Creek Pictures and co-financed by Exclusive and Cross Creek Pictures.

John Hilary Shepherd, a 2010 WGA Award nominee for his work on the first season of the Showtime series, “Nurse Jackie,” is writing the screenplay. Tobin Armbrust, Head of Production is overseeing the project’s development for Hammer Films.

[…]

“First and foremost this is a great story. Bringing a steampunk style novel to life on the big screen is going to be very cool, very unique,” said Tobin Armbrust.

“Boneshaker is a classic zombie movie with a modern twist which is quintessentially Hammer so it’s a perfect fit for us,” said Simon Oakes. “Cherie Priest’s steampunk series are fantastic with a distinct, unique style and we’re really looking forward to bringing her ‘Rotters’ to the big screen.”

“It’s like Jules Verne meets ‘Resident Evil,’ and we’re thrilled to have such a fun, commercial potential franchise in Boneshaker,” says Oliver. He continues: “John’s an exciting screenwriter and we see this being a real crowd pleaser.”

This is the latest in a number of projects Cross Creek Pictures and Exclusive have teamed on, including George Clooney’s “The Ides of March,” which opened nationwide on October 7th through Sony Pictures, the upcoming “The Woman in Black” starring Daniel Radcliffe, which CBS Films has set to release February 3rd, 2012 and Ron Howard’s Formula 1 film “Rush” starring Daniel Brühl and Chris Hemsworth with production partners Imagine, Revolution Films and Working Title.

Cherie Priest was represented in the deal by Jennifer Jackson of the Donald Maass Literary Agency and John Hilary Shepherd was repped by attorney Joan Vento-Hall.

So NOW you know what I’ve been sitting on for the last few months, DESPERATE to blog about yet being unable to do so. FINALLY IT CAN BE TOLD. And apparently it wants to be told in ALL CAPS because it just FEELS RIGHT.

BECAUSE HOLY SHIT, y’all. A HAMMER MOVIE.

Here are a few more links to other sources on the deal:

Variety
Hollywood Reporter
BloodyDisgusting.com
ComingSoon.net

And if you’ve read those, you know just about as much as I do. I know nothing about casting, about filming, about schedules, or anything like that … but you may rest assured that as I have leakable information, I will leak it LIKE A SIEVE.

But first, I think I might need to go lie down.
I’m … I’m having a moment, over here …

Comments

• Debbi says on: December 1, 2011 at 11:50 am

WooHoo! Boneshaker made me feel like I was in the middle of a dynamite film most of the time!
    Would not have happened without GREAT writing and terrific concept. I can hardly wait for a film! Congrats!

• Shelel says on: December 1, 2011 at 4:03 pm

*chuckles* And I get to say “I knew her when…”!!

Congratulations, Cherie! May you continue to enjoy all the kudos and prizes that you receive – you soooooo deserve them, honey!

Much love!

• Rebecca Cook says on: December 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Holy shit, Dude! And just to think. The other day we were in class together and you were talking about how you were going to be an author!! Congrats and all that!!

• Michael Phillips says on: December 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm

This is so amazing, congratulations! I can’t wait to see it!

• C-M says on: December 3, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Congratulations on this monumental occasion!

• Mischa says on: December 6, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I will consider the good news a birthday present. It’s exactly what I wanted. Thanks. Pity the unwrapping will take so long.

• Orbmiser says on: December 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Congrats and commented on one of your flickr images! Liked the Portrait!

Been a closet fan of Steampunk for years. And just got a Nook Color and been reading a lot.
    Say a Thread about Steampunk books and yours where at the top of the list.

So now resides on my Nook color and hope to read it next few days. As is my First Steampunk read.

And hope smooth sailing to the Big Screen!

• Mike says on: December 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm

It’s about time discovered this wonderful story. I am excited as I am sure it will make a great film.

Congrats!

• Jacque says on: December 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Congratulations Cherie! I am so happy for you. I went to dinner with your mom tonight and we were talking about how when you were younger and would make up stories. Remember the song? Cousin Kids? Good times!!

• Cherie says on: December 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Thanks everyone – times a million!
    And Jacque … how could I forget?

• Breahna G. says on: February 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I’m very happy for you but also a tad bit concerned. I loved this book more than you know, so much that it has given me inspiration for a book that I plan on writing to kick off my career as an author. As I was saying, I’m concerned that Hollywood might mess up or change the plot line a little. It’s happened to good few books that have been favorites of mine.

All the same though, I am ecstatic about this revelation. From the moment I was getting really into it and right to the end, I couldn’t help but think what it would like in movie form. You truly are an outstanding author and to tell you the truth, you have become my inspiration for becoming an author. No joke there. Congratulations. :)

• Swan J. says on: March 16, 2012 at 11:07 am

Congrats!! I have heard so many good comments about your book, it is my next book to read. Steampunk and zombies…can’t…wait…to…read!! I hope that they do well with adapting your book into a movie. Congratulations again!

• Brandon says on: November 13, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Okay, so I’m in love with the Clockwork series. I just bought Fiddlehead (after a very patient wait) and can add it to the collection of the whole series.

The movie was announced awhile ago. Any updates? I’m so eager to see what the producers picture Seattle too look like with the blight compared to what I have in my mind.

Cant wait!!