2 years, 9 months ago, in the evening
I am back now from Phoenix Comic Con – an event which was, I must say, a massive amount of fun. There were drinks, readings, panels, and shenanigans – not to mention one truly hilarious game show; and although I never got to squee stupidly at Elvira in person, this is probably just as well. It no doubt would’ve gone down in history as my Least Dignified Moment Ever.*
I did, however, get to hang with friends old and new. I’ve known and adored Scalzi and Wil for lo, these many years; and I was fortunate enough to meet and goof off with Wonderful People From The Internet, including Si Spurrier, Sam Sykes, and Paul Cornell. By their powers combined, the weekend went from “a hoot and a half” to “absolutely outstanding.”
And now for a very few relevant highlights in bullet form, with links.
All right, guys. That’s all I’ve got for now. I still haven’t finished unpacking yet, and there’s work to do before I sit down for a conference call first thing in the morning, so I need to log off and take this holiday evening to be productive. No rest for the wicked, etc. etc. etc.
But seriously, thanks a million to everyone who made the convention such a blast – not just the marvelous handlers and organizers, but the fantastic people who were kind enough to let me hang out and bounce around the event with them. It was a great weekend, and I hope I get to do it again next year!
* I would’ve exploded all over her like a fistful of fangirl confetti. She’d have been picking pieces of me out of her cleavage for days. Blissful for me. Annoying for her.
2 years, 9 months ago, around lunchtime
Tomorrow morning I’m heading out for Phoenix ComicCon – where I fully expect to have a monstrous good time for a few days. I’m scheduled all over the place, and I’d list those appearances here except that it feels like a waste of space … and also a waste of this perfectly swank page they set up for me. So cool! So helpful! So click that link if you want to stalk me around the event.
A few short notes on that schedule page, though:
1. Though I’ve been assigned a booth/table, I honestly have no idea when I’ll find the time to park there. Don’t go there expecting to find me. Check the schedule instead; you’re more likely to hunt me down that way.
2. Friday night I’m also participating in the “Just A Minute” game, starting at 6:00 p.m. I only just got this settled yesterday, so it’s not up there yet.
3. I no longer have blue hair, so I am now a bit less easy to pick out of a crowd. My apologies! These days I look more like this. (At least, when I’ve put some effort into looking presentable.) I might be wearing my glasses. Depends on how well my eyeballs feel like cooperating with the contacts.
Anyway! I’m in markedly better health than I was at this time last week, and I’m very much looking forward to this event. Come out and say hello; unless I’m stuffing my face or in the ladies room, I’m always happy to sign whatever you’ve brought – and happy to talk to you.
But now it’s time to devote a few hours to day-job work, and then start packing. Thanks so much for reading, and I hope to see some of you in Phoenix this weekend!
2 years, 9 months ago, just before lunchtime
I’m still alive over here, and in fact, I’m even improving. Huzzah for modern medicine! Huzzah also for my friend Kat, whose birthday was yesterday – though we’re meeting up for choco-martinis this afternoon, instead. Furthermore huzzahs for having handed in the Ganymede edits; and subsequent huzzahs for Phoenix Comic Con this coming weekend.
I’d go on, but I need to make some lunch so I can take those aforementioned antibiotics. So I’ll sign off with some links:
- Divine Goth/Lolita/Steampunk bling – So my pal and co-conspirator Sam (the exceptional designer Blasphemina) is having a run of shit-tastic luck. Her home was damaged/flooded yesterday in the storms that sent tornadoes careening around the midwest – but much of her stock is still intact, and she’s hoping to sell some goodies to help with repairs. Go take a peek at her Etsy shop and see if anything strikes your fancy. I’ll vouch for her products! I own some of them myself.
- Thackeray T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities makes the L.A. Times summer reading list – This is relevant to my interests because I am one of the contributers, and I am very, very excited about seeing this book in print. I admit, it took me a minute to spot it in the L.A. Times page, but it’s there – under “Page Turners” as it damn well ought to be.
- Clementine gets a great quick-and-dirty review – Speaking of this book, there’s been a slight delay with regards to the paperback edition, but it is still coming. And at present, you can find it in a number of digital formats including Nook, Kindle, and others – plus an audiobook.