Lipstick stained and whipcream lies

3 years, 5 months ago, in the late afternoon

I keep beginning this post and then deleting my progress, only to start over again – because I find it tedious when people make posts about all the super-secret things they can’t post about. And yet, here I am. And here I go: It’s been a busy few days, but mostly it’s been busy with things that cannot yet be blogged for public consumption.

Suffice it to say that big things are in the works, and I’ll tell you all about them when I can. But for now, I’m really very busy Taking Care Of Business over here, so posting/tweeting/facebooking might be light for a few days.

__________

Today I cleaned out Ziggy’s tank for the first time since we brought him home. He was a huge drama queen about it; I gently scooped him into a Ziplock baggie for low-stress safekeeping while I scrubbed his homestead, but you would’ve thought I was dangling him over a blender and saying nasty things about his mother. Finally, he gave up – and so great was his exhaustion and existential angst, that he flopped at the bottom of the baggie and played dead.

Yet remarkably, when he was reintroduced to his squeaky-clean quarters, he fluffed back up again and now appears just freaking fine, thank you very much. But he still wants me to fuck right off. The nerve of me, maintaining his hygiene and comfort. Clearly I am some sort of monster.

(He is very, very good at expressing disapproval … particularly for a creature without any eyebrows.)

__________

And now it is time for links. Why? Because they’ve been piling up on my Twitter channel and if I don’t unload them here, I will forget about them. That’s why.

• A truer comic was never drawn – On Seattle weather, a local artist nails it. I feel peculiarly vindicated.

• It’s steampunk week at Stellar Four – They’re giving away a prize pack, including some goodies from yours truly. Go click and learn how to enter.

• Vampire Librarian likes Bloodshot – I, for one, am glad to see that even in these troubled economic times, the undead are finding gainful employment.

• Fan creates an RPG (based off the FATE platform) for Dreadnought – A couple of people pointed me at this in case I wanted to get righteously indignant re: copyright infringement, but they needn’t have bothered. I think this is super-cool! The dude in question is just doing this for giggles, playing with his friends. I’m always flattered when readers are so inspired that they want to participate in the story.

To give that last bullet point a little more meat, let me add this with regards to fan-created derivative works: If you want to draw characters, or create casual games for non-commercial use, or make costumes, or whatever when it comes to my Clockwork Century stories … that’s wild! Knock yourself out. Have a wonderful time, and feel free to send me pictures.

But fan-fiction is a slightly different story, in that I can get in trouble for reading it. (There are legal reasons that I must stay the hell away from it.) However, there’s not really anything I can do to stop anybody from writing it – and frankly, I have better things to do with my time than yell at people on the internet.

So all I ask is that if you do write your own stories using my world-setting or characters, please (a). don’t turn a profit on them, and (b). don’t show them to me. Kindly respect these two requests, and I won’t feel obligated to chase you down and fuss at you.

Thanks!

Comments

• Patrick Doris says on: March 31, 2011 at 6:11 pm

You should have Raylene track them down if they break those rules

• Denis says on: March 31, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for not slapping me down for the RPG. I hadn’t even thought of it as an issue when I was writing it. I figured it feel into the same fair use policy that allows deviantART to be filled with awesome works of art based on licensed characters, or even just the immense proliferation of fans playing RPGs with their friends in other peoples worlds. I never planned on making anything more than fun off of the game, and probably will only ever run it for this one group.

I was stunned when I heard you were aware of it, as I had only ever write up anything on my humble blog for friends and family to know I’m alive and well! The sudden attention is cool, but not something I had in mind when I set out. Like I said, all this started, and will end, with me just enjoying your work and having it flip all the right switches in my head.

Perhaps some day you’ll consider licensing your Clockwork Century world for an RPG. I hope you look to Evil Hat Productions if you ever do. They’re the folks that developed the system I’m using to hack together my own version of your story.

Once again, thanks for the attention and praise. I really, really appreciate it. In my opinion, roleplaying is the best hobby in the world. Through it I’ve made the best friends in my life, met and married the most amazing person I could ever hope to share that life with, and now can claim to have someone I admire turn the tables on me and praise my work too. Thank you.

• Cherie says on: March 31, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Denis – thanks for taking the time :) And really, your game is awesome, and I think it’s wild that you were interested enough to undertake the undertaking!

The subject of fan-fic/infringement/whatnot is something people ask me about all the time, so your game was sort of an excuse for me to answer a number of questions at once, you know?

I do appreciate you being cool about the attention. Of course, if you’d rather not see the extra traffic, just let me know and I’ll wipe the links.

As for the RPG licensing issue, I’d be happy to put it out there in a more formal capacity – but that’s the sort of thing that people typically approach me about, not me approaching them. Companies like that aren’t hurting for adaptable properties, I tell you what.

But FWIW, I’m totally open to the prospect.

Thanks again!

• Denis says on: March 31, 2011 at 8:12 pm

“Of course, if you’d rather not see the extra traffic, just let me know and I’ll wipe the links.”

Ha. No. I may be modest in the face of increased attention, but who doesn’t enjoy their 15 minutes in the spotlight? I’m loving my moment in the sun, to mix my metaphors.

• Max says on: April 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm

“I find it tedious when people make posts about all the super-secret things they can’t post about.”

It just makes me so darn curious! o.O