Despite the fact that I’m besieged by editorial deadlines, I’ve decided that I WILL make time — even if it’s just an hour a day — to get a little bit of writing done. With that resolution firmly in place, I’m now going back to the project I scrapped the other day, coming at it from another angle. So far, I like this angle better. It’s more … um … what I meant in the first place, for lack of a better way of putting it.
For the time being, I think I’m also going to reset this project to its original title. Don’t ask me why; I never said this was logical. But I feel like this one really needs a one-worder.
So anyway. Here is today’s slim progress on the new steam-horror fin de siecle project about ghosts, guilt, elder gods, and monster-hunting in the aftermath of two gruesome murders:
Project: (tentative title) Maplecroft
New words written: 780
Present total word count: 780 words
Things accomplished in fiction: Finally got an opener that makes me happy. So no, the word count isn’t huge … but it’s significant. I find beginnings to be absolutely awful. I never know what’s right or not, and I often go through several before I settle on one I can stand. This is officially attempt #3 to get it off the ground. We’ll see if this one sticks.
Things accomplished in real life: Did epic laundry, including all the bedding — because I was awakened by a barfing alarm clock wreaking havoc on our sheets. Thank heavens we sprang for that fancy-schmancy mattress cover when we upgraded to Grown-Up Mattresses last year.
Total Official Word Count of 2010: 23,836 words
(Yes, I’m preserving the previous efforts’ tally in the total word count. It’s not like I didn’t write those words. I just didn’t keep them.)