Control

4 years, 11 months ago, mid-afternoon

A week or so ago, an author friend gave me the heads-up regarding a brief-but-nasty review of Boneshaker (as well as this author’s own works) composed by someone who was irate over Amazon.com’s georestrictions. In short, because this man could not download our books to a Kindle (edited to add: Or otherwise acquire them, apparently) in Australia, he thought he’d take out his frustration on us.

This isn’t altogether shocking, since we-the-authors are arguably the most public face of the publishing process; and, in the reviewer’s defense, when he was asked nicely to remove the reviews, he did so. Of course, his parting shot informed me that my books were available for free in “all the usual places” so he could always just download them anyway. Eh. One step forward, two steps back, I guess.

But this brings up a couple of things that I’ve seen discussed a lot lately: (1). e-piracy and (2). authorial control, and I wanted to clear up a few of the more prevalent misconceptions on these subjects.

Actually, I don’t have much to say about piracy because Nicole Peeler has already produced a pretty good run-down on the subject. However, when I linked her post on Twitter, I received some follow up questions regarding libraries, used book stores, and friend-sharing — so I’d like to take a moment to address them.

In short, of course authors would love it if everyone could buy brand new copies of their books. But the next best thing is borrowing books from a friend or library; and no, most of the authors I know don’t have problems with used book stores, either. The reasons are primarily twofold: (1). original purchase, and (2). scale.

(1). Libraries are very good markets for books, and we writers love them to bits. You see, if enough people line up to borrow a book, the library will purchase more copies of that book in order to reduce the wait. Therefore, the more people who want to borrow books from the library, the better. Also, libraries tend to be very supportive of writers from a promotional standpoint. They invite us to read, host our events, and often let local booksellers come in to sell copies at these events. To sum up: Libraries are good for authors.

(2) If your friend has a copy of a book and loans it to you, that’s awesome. If you enjoy the book, maybe you’ll even go buy some other books by the author. However, I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that you likely won’t pass that book around to a few thousand of your closest friends. Due to the restrictions of the space-time continuum, a physical object is unlikely to find itself enjoyed by more than a handful of people. The same principle applies to used bookstores. Really, at the end of the day, a used bookstore is just a borrowing service that comes with a fee.

Right. Well then. Now let’s talk about authorial control. First, a disclaimer: Your mileage may vary. Everything discussed below is a result of personal experience combined with the fact that I know a whole bunch of writers, and we tend to talk about these things amongst ourselves. There are exceptions. These are generalizations, not stone-carved facts applicable across the board.

Things Authors Mostly Control

The words. Yes, we are subject to editorial review, revision, and rewriting. Absolutely — and sometimes, quite a lot of it. But we are responsible for the content, and we usually have some negotiating room with regards to how it is handled.

How we present ourselves to the audience. What we wear, the language we use, and the level of accessibility we offer — both online and in person — these are things within our purview.

Things Authors May Influence in Some Measure

The book’s title. Titles get changed all the time, usually with the author’s input — but sometimes without it. Occasionally a title is too similar to another book (in the same genre and/or by the same publisher in the same season), sometimes marketing hates it, sometimes … heaven knows what.

Who gets review copies of books. Though most publishers have a list of which reviewers in what venues get Advance Readers Copies (ARCs), if someone approaches an author and asks for one, the author can pass the request on to a publicist or editor. These requests are honored or ignored at the publicist/editor’s discretion, based on any number of factors. But more often than not (in my experience) they tend to be granted.

Visibility: Part One. A savvy writer can — if he or she has enough free time and/or disposable cash — attend conferences and conventions, manage websites regarding his/her books, and network with other authors, readers, booksellers, librarians, and reviewers. It is also up to the writer whether or not to accept interview requests and the like.

Visibility: Part Two. BUT. The vast bulk of the writers I know do not have the free time or disposable cash to pick up and jaunt to every convention in every city, much less send themselves on tour. Obviously authors who have reached a certain level of profitability will be invited around (expenses paid), but more often than not these things are paid for out of the author’s pocket.* And keep in mind that most of us have day jobs and/or families to juggle.

Things Over Which Authors Have Virtually No Say

The cover. When it comes to covers, the majority of authors are treated like modern royalty: We enjoy the right to be consulted, then ignored. Cover art and design is handled by the art department with the overriding input of marketing and sales. Sometimes if something is glaringly wrong or bad, authors can request changes; but there’s no guarantee anyone will listen.**

The book’s cost. Not up to us. Not even remotely. This is (partially) related to the issue of size and format. See below.

Size and format. You’d rather read a hardback? Or a mass market edition (aka, pocketbook paperback)? Sorry. We typically neither (a). control the initial release format, nor (b). decide when it’s re-released or how. This is one more thing determined by sales and marketing.

Distribution. Distribution is something so far outside your average author’s sphere of influence that it may as well be handled by hobbits on Mars. If your local bookstore doesn’t have a book you want, the situation’s remedy is in your hands: Almost any bookstore will order titles on your behalf.

Quality control. If your copy of a book is missing pages due to a printer error; if it is not printed on paper you like; if the ink is a funny color; if the font gives you a headache. I mean, obviously authors are sorry about these things — but we had nothing to do with the decisions that created the issues … nor can we do anything to fix them for you.

Digital availability. Most contracts keep digital rights for the publisher, and if an author can wrestle them away, then awesome. Most of us can’t. Therefore, we have no control over what format the digital versions may take, or how they may appear.

Schedule. The calculations publishers use to determine release dates for books are arcane and mysterious. So although sometimes a book’s release is delayed due to authorial issues (handed in late due to failure to back-up files and whoops hard drive asplodey, or whatever), generally speaking we don’t have any say over when the book comes out.

Foreign availability. Sometimes foreign publishers want to translate and produce an author’s book. Sometimes they don’t. The end.

Foreign availability in other same-language countries. In the case of my books, which are written in English, it may appear that there’s no good reason countries like Canada and England shouldn’t have these books on demand. I agree. But see above re: Distribution.

Turning the book into a movie. Sometimes Hollywood producers are interested in turning a book into a movie. Sometimes they aren’t. The end.

In Conclusion

Okay! Well, that’s just the stuff I could pull off the top of my head. If you have any other questions, feel free to leave them in the comments here or on LJ, or email me — and I’ll do my best to answer them and/or amend this post to include those answers. (See also: If any of you industry pros want to correct me or add your own two cents, feel free.)

Thanks for reading, everyone, and I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

~Cherie

* For example, last year’s 8-day “Paranormal Bender Tour” was paid for out-of-pocket by me, Mark Henry, Mario Acevedo, and Caitlin Kittredge. Likewise, I still am not cool enough for DragonCon to fly me out or put me up; so that’s a couple grand (when all is said and done) that I have to cover for just that one event.
** This is less true for smaller, independent publishers, who — on the whole, I think — tend to be more receptive to author input with regards to design. I realize that the plural of “anecdote” is not “data,” but by and large this seems to be the case.

Comments

• Rebecca Knight says on: January 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Thank you for this, Cherie! I’d always wondered about the size and format, and that helped tremendously :).

I appreciate the insight!

• Cherie says on: January 20, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Happy to be of service :)

• Steve Boyett says on: January 20, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Hi, Cherie! I came here by way of Scalzi’s WHATEVER post. Great post, and I intend to steer a lot of fan email to it now. :)

Some other things I get asked, assuming I control such things: Why don’t you sell your book to Hollywood? Why don’t you make your e-book/audiobook DRM-free? And one that I do have control over, but refuse to exercise: Why don’t you send me copies of your out-of-print books that I can’t find anywhere?

• Cherie says on: January 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Oooh, the movie thing in particular — that’s a good one. I’ll add it to the list. Thanks for stopping by!

• Jim Winter says on: January 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I paid for my copy of Boneshaker, and dammit, I demand that you sell the movie rights forthwith.

I see a big role for Jack Black in it. Make it happen.

• Cherie says on: January 20, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Oh hush, you. :)

• Rachel says on: January 20, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Great explanation! I’d say this sums it up pretty nicely. In my experience, any reasonable author requests (regarding cover, and sometimes scheduling) are honored, but in many cases, the powers that be at the major chains have more say than we sales and marketing folks. If the buyer at Amazon or Barnes & Noble hates the cover the author loves, the author gets a jpg to cherish and the book goes out with the cover that B&N likes.

Oh, and I bought Boneshaker in both paperback (for my boyfriend) and Kindle (for myself) and I got cheated because the Kindle edition doesn’t have brown ink! :)

• Steve Ely says on: January 20, 2010 at 7:44 pm

You may have no control over it, but you really hit the cover jackpot with Boneshaker. Maybe that’s counterbalanced by the thing being published just in trade paperback (if I’m not mistaken) and not hardback. I don’t know. But it really seems like pretty much perfect cover art.

(I’m not a regular reader of the site, so I expect you voiced your feelings about the cover art in remarks I haven’t found yet. I’ll keep looking. Anyway, there are mine.)

• Shane says on: January 20, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I had to special order my copy of Boneshaker to get it in my local bookstore in Australia. An American friend recommended it to me, and I’m pleased to say that it was well worth the two month wait. I’m a beginning writer myself (making my first finished draft novel at NaNoWriMo 09) and I was pleasantly surprised to find the plot and character depth to be much richer than I expected. Proof that a story about zombies and air pirates can be more than just the sum of all parts. A modern classic for the steampunk genre! I’d definitely recommend it to friends, to buy, this one’s worth keeping on the bookshelf, and it’s set a good standard for future novels to come. With the likes of yourself and Scott Westerfeld making your mark on steampunk, I can only hope that one day I can follow in your footsteps. Keep up the great work Cherie!

• Stephen says on: January 21, 2010 at 12:16 am

A question about digital availability. You say that the publishers keep the digital rights, which was my general understanding as well.

But the reason they give for the geo-restrictions is that they don’t have the digital rights to distribute outside the US. If they don’t then you must, yes? Or are they stuck in limbo somewhere and nobody can sell them elsewhere?

• Eric says on: January 21, 2010 at 12:51 am

Foreign availability – i can’t speak for every country, but here in Israel the bookstores are just as willing to order books from abroad that they don’t stock as stores in the US.

Also, the book depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/) stocks Boneshaker and will ship it free to 99 countries – and their prices are usually close to the Amazon price. If they don’t have it the make suggestions (with links) of sites that may have it.

• J Dalziel says on: January 21, 2010 at 3:42 am

Can’t get a copy in Australia? Pull the other one!

I snagged a copy out of the front window display of my favourite bookstore here in Perth, based on the ‘Big Idea’ that you did over on Whatever. (Damn you Scalzi, stop informing me about awesome books!)

And I enjoyed it even more than I expected going in. Great story, great world, cool, interesting and believable characters, and surprisingly enough, a gorgeous physical artefact to boot, with the brown text on yellowish paper. Bravo to you Cherie, and kudos to the people that produced such a wonderful read, destined to be a long-cherished belonging!

If the twit complaining above really wanted a copy, they’d try looking for it at a specialist bookshop, and not just the chain stores.

• Gazweasel says on: January 21, 2010 at 3:58 am

Thanks, Cherie, for a great post. Lots of questions answered.

Something that really annoys me but for which I would NEVER blame an author is why digital versions of books can cost the same as a physical version. Surely this is just greed.

• Sean the Blogonaut says on: January 21, 2010 at 5:03 am

I live in Australia and while I was slightly annoyed that I couldn’t download it to my PC i ended up ordering it through Amazon and being pleasantly surprised two weeks later.

• Jenny says on: January 21, 2010 at 6:57 am

In response to Stephen’s question re: digital rights.

Digital rights, like publication rights, can be a tricky thing. I’m not completely up on the digital rights thing, but I do know that there are times a publishing company will have rights to a book in the U.S. but not, say, England or Canada or Australia. Sometimes this is because another publishing company has rights to it in another country (I work in publishing and I’ve worked on books where I’ve done our U.S. edition and the Canadian edition for another company; I ‘ve no idea the legal/financial wrangling that goes on there–not my dept). But I’ve never heard of a case where the author holds the rights and is preventing a book from being published in a particular place. That’d be rather silly. I mean, the more copies the book sells (in whatever format), the more money the author makes.

• Percy says on: January 21, 2010 at 9:32 am

Really informative and interesting post; I learned a lot of new things. Thanks for writing this Cherie — I’ll be sure to direct my ire at the publishers now ;-).

• Marilynn Byerly says on: January 21, 2010 at 9:56 am

The publisher contracts specific rights in their contract with the author. Those rights involve the language of the right — English only, specific other languages, or all language translation rights. Territorial rights are the parts of the world where the book can be sold.

The rights not contracted can be sold to foreign publishers by the author and her agent.

Most paper book contracts from the conglomerate publishers, until recently, covered North American English rights. In other words, the contract was for the English language book sold in the US and Canada.

Now, world English rights are more common.

The publisher then signs a contract with distributors as to where the distributor can and can’t distribute a book. There are also International laws which cover the import and export of books.

A few weeks ago, there was a story in the trade press about American booksellers buying a British author’s book online to sell in their stores because the American version wasn’t due out for some time. A number of publishers reminded these booksellers that they were breaking the law by doing so because of those contractual territory agreements.

For more information on territorial rights, I suggest this article.

• James Davis Nicoll says on: January 21, 2010 at 10:10 am

it may appear that there’s no good reason countries like Canada

It’s from Tor, isn’t it? Shouldn’t it be distributed in Canada by HB FENN and available at any bookstore up here.

The issue is likely not to be being able to order it but being expect to pay 25% to 30% more than Americans if we buy it in a Canadian store, even though our currencies are close to par at the moment (Yesterday, the US dollar was slightly below par).

• David Dyer-Bennet says on: January 21, 2010 at 10:38 am

I don’t see a discussion of the title. In my experience (not a writer myself, but as a long-time fan and wife of a writer, I’ve heard huge amounts of discussion) that goes in your category.

Want to really shock people? Include “the author’s name” on the list. The categorization is interesting; the situations I’m thinking of tend to be due to publishers being unwilling to buy anything under a previously-used name (see “Simon Hawke”, “Robin Hobb”; possibly soon some alternative to Sarah Monette, also).

• NelC says on: January 21, 2010 at 11:14 am

Worth mentioning in connection with movies, I think, is options. Sometimes a movie-maker will be interested in making your book into a movie and will buy the option, but that isn’t a guarantee that the film will be made. Sometimes it will get stuck in development hell for years and nothing will come of it. The author has no control over this, either.

Not only that, but even if the movie does get made, the author will almost certainly have no control whatsoever over what appears on the screen. Even if the contract specifies that the author be consulted, there’s no guarantee that the author will be listened to. You can talk to Ursula K LeGuin about that one.

• Cherie says on: January 21, 2010 at 11:47 am

Well, it looks like other commenters have done a better job of breaking down digital rights than I could’ve done, so brava!

And NelC, I left out the “options” conversation because that’s just more info than I was shooting for. The long and short of it is that, when someone asks, “HOW COME YOU HAVEN’T MADE THIS INTO A MOVIE YET?” the answer is, “Because no one in Hollywood has shown any interest in doing so.” Most of the people who ask this question know little enough about the process that a diatribe regarding how rights and options and production works … would only make their eyes glaze over.

• James Davis Nicoll says on: January 21, 2010 at 11:52 am

Case in point Bladerunner, which is based on the title of an Alan E. Nourse novel and about half of the story from a Philip K. Dick novel. I am sure that was not what Nourse had in mind when the option on his book got bought.

Interestingly there was a script produced based on Nourse’s novel. The script was written by William S. Burroughs.

• Jodyth says on: January 21, 2010 at 12:30 pm

First, I’m a librarian, so thanks for the kind words! I’d also like to point out that libraries also help keep the long tail effect of your work going, particularly for non-best selling authors. We keep books available for longer than most retail outlets so people have a chance to discover an author’s complete body of work and build word of mouth to promote that work.

• RKCharron says on: January 21, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Hi Cherie :)
    Thank you for the great post on authorial control & the lack of it.
    I learned a lot!

• Adam says on: January 21, 2010 at 9:31 pm

How about typographical errors? I’ve heard readers and writers complain that books nowadays are full of ‘em. The small presses are especially guilty of putting out many (sometimes very expensive) books that read like they were proofread by an imbecile. Who shoulders the responsibility for this? Misspellings, dropped lines, and punctuation errors definitely impact my enjoyment of a book.

• Cordelia says on: January 21, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Oh God, the arcane publishing schedules! I interned at a small publisher once, and had to work out all the publishing schedules for all of our upcoming books in my first month, and so I mostly guessed and made it up. Either I was really bad at it, since all those books are now a full season late, or else… well, my publisher never looked at those schedules anyway, so maybe the arcane schedule is tied in to her divorce-related mood swings.

I know it often sounds harsh to author fans that authors don’t have total control of highly visible things like title and cover, but one thing I definitely learned at said internship was that letting the author in on those processes will seriously damage your schedule. I was at a small independent publisher, and the authors did get an unusual amount of influence in the title and cover; while I suppose that it was nice for them, adding the authors to the decision lead to a lot of time wasted on the correspondence alone, and is a major reason that the aforementioned books are now late.

Oops, I didn’t mean to sound so harsh. Of course authors are concerned about how their work is presented; they’d be crazy not to care. I just mean to point out that the lack of authorial involvement in so many steps of the process isn’t due only to the whims of the marketing gods or impersonal publishers; it’s about sheer efficiency.

• Linds says on: January 22, 2010 at 1:11 pm

The cover thing has been made all the more clear with Scholastic ass-tastic handling of the covers of LIAR and MAGIC UNDER GLASS– books about women of color whose covers feature white girls. The authors were both livid,but really couldn’t do jack.

• John Rea-Hedrick says on: January 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Speaking of control in regards to book titles, was ‘Boneshaker’ the title you chose for that book, or did Tor name it for you?

(BTW, nearly finished reading it!)

Thanks!

• Brad Ackerman says on: January 24, 2010 at 9:52 am

Marilynn: US bookstores that stock UK editions aren’t breaking the publisher’s territorial rights — only the publisher can do that. US (and EU) copyright law does allow copyright holders to prohibit commercial imports of material they control, so stocking UK books could be illegal for that reason assuming they weren’t printed in the US and exported to the UK. (I’d assume that they’re either printed in the UK or France, or printed in China and shipped directly to the EU, but I could be wrong.)

So right conclusion for the wrong reasons. Just don’t conflate parallel importing, which is technically a violation of copyright law but is not morally objectionable, with pirating.

• Moose says on: January 25, 2010 at 8:57 pm

This was very informative. I shall be less harsh to my heroes in the future (now that I know the handicaps they suffer). I found this via a ScienceBlogs article and will be looking up your works in the future.

Thanks,
    Moose

• Stephen says on: January 27, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Looking at Digital Rights again:

So, if Publisher X acquires say US English rights to your book, digital rights probably goes along with it. Thus, they are the only people allowed to sell ebooks in the US, and they can’t sell them elsewhere. OK, fine. But this means that the author must still retain the right to sell them elsewhere (unless they’ve sold those rights separately to a different publisher). Therefore the author has the ability to put the book in one or more e-book stores, as long as they put georestrictions (no US sales) on it.

I find it ironic that the issue that prompted this post (geo-restricted ebooks) may in fact be something the author can do something about – whether it is worth it is another issue.

• Pandering God says on: February 4, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Dick Clark’s stroke was a clue about clone hosts.
    Tony Sinclair was a clue to the impeneratrable black community.
    Dale Fitzgerald was a clue to the south.
    The Gods have been generous with their clues. If you know what you’re looking at.

Much of the degenerate behavior in the 80s, building on the clues that were the Holocaust and Watergate, was also a clue from the Gods to my generation:::
    Don’t trust. Be cynical. Despite gaining financially, distrust the white capitalistic filth whom the Gods sacrificed for this event for they are thieving garbage.
    I was paying attention.

The Gods have created this sick, deranged enviornment to punish us.
    We’ve ALL been here on Planet Earth before. Some are being punished more than others. Hitler IS running around down here on Earth.
    Part of this deterioration is cloaked in the way society functions::::Two-parent working households, rushing around, constantly occupied.
    Your children NEED TO SIT AND LISTEN TO THEIR THOUGHTS, FOR THIS IS WHEN THEY GODS COMMUNICATE THE TRUTH.
    Some don’t listen. Others only hear it in a dream.
    You have to pay for what you’ve done wrong. The soomer you stop offending behavior the less you’ll be punished.

Much as with the celestial event which occured that day on Ocean Beach, they say when I die there will be some final clue to the people suggesting my importance. Perhaps a “Star of Bethlehem” type of event.
    They say some children see a halo on my head. These are the children who have a chance to ascend.
    The entire Situation was a way to offer subtle clues for the “haves”, distration-based theater for the “have-nots”. With this document I am the end-stage “catch-all”, an attempt to help everyone understand. Unfortunately, the Gods have retained the priveledge of refusal, manifested in positioning.
    It is the God’s way to accomplish their goals RIGHT OFF THE BAT, leaving the disfavored to scramble for understanding only when it’s all over.
    This event was a teaching tool for the “haves”, accomplished before the dawn of the 90s. Too many of the “have-nots” will never accept they did the wrong thing for so many years and therefore never learn from this critical event.

————————————————–

The voice you hear in your head is the power of the Gods. It’s a remote technology, like a computer, perhaps functioning on some frequency, and it can listen and talk to everyone in the universe simultaneously.
    What the Gods taught the children was the truth:::God is everywhere, and this is what they meant. And as I will remind you:::If you want to go to heaven you have to be good.
    Even the antient Gods don’t have the ability to listen to people’s thoughts themselves. They taugh we were all made in their image:::I expect they need this “Artificial Intelligence” they created to relay what people think.
    It is a tool, and the Gods use their tools to test people with temptation:::It will role-play people in your life:::Parents, friends, spouses, and employers, all in an attempt to test people with temptation. Ironically, it does the very same thing to those people whom you think you’re hearing, except in that individual’s unique way:::We are all “managed” by the God’s technology.
    But this agent of the Gods can do more than just communicate. It can force thoughts into people’s heads, force behaviors onto their bodies. It can turn healthy cells in your body into cancerous cells. It is absolute power. And this is just the beginning.

Obedience is not the answer. This is the brain-less response and the easy way out.
    You’ve done everything you have been told for years and it never bought you ANYTHING. Your parents did what they were told and it didn’t buy them anything. Your grandparents did everything they were told and now they’re dead, reincarnated as lesser life forms, perhaps even into America’s deranged, violent ghettos.
    People think they are not responsible when Artificial Intelligence tells them to do something. They offeed a clue with the Holocaust AND with Watergate:::Defy authority and do the right thing.
    In earlier decades this obedience may have been out of fear, as so often in Germany, but that era is long over. To maximize damamge the Gods today sell them on “earning” and these people think they will profiteer from their evil.
    They offer a clue on the Simpsons with Flanders and Skinner. So many ridicule both figures, a testiment to the state of our society.

The Gods favor the children most among all the people due to their innocence and purity. But society and the God’s tools recently are corrupting the children at a progressively younger age, a reflection of our collectively increasing disfavor and yet another clue illustrating we live in a increasingly deteriorating environment.
    Children who sucessfully repair their relationship with the Gods ascend into heaven. This often takes multiple lives of hard work and proper behavior in the face of adversity to achieve. Adults to whom it is offered enter clone hosting instead, thinking they will be ascending into heaven ultimately. The Gods tempt people, selling them as one in the same, but one is good while the other is evil. In their desperation the disfavored subscribe to this temptation, making their task even more difficult than before due to the evil they incurr in the process. And their corruption will cost the disfavored, for they will be reincarnated as a lesser life form into an ever deteriorating world, sucess becoming ever more allusive with each passing life.
    The hole they’ve dug for themselves is even deeper than the one that existed from their prior lives, ensuring it will take even more time and work to fix their problems with the Gods. And for many there may not be enough time left.

Ours is an envionment where evil is perceived to be rewarded while good is punished. As with everything the Gods have a reason for creating this perception::::
    People who fall on the good side of the good/evil scale have more favor, and when they do something wrong the Gods punish them BECAUSE THEY WANT THEM TO LEARN. The Gods want them to receive this feedback in hope they make corrections and begin to behave appropriately. The Gods DON’T like evil and refuse to grant this immediate feedback.
    EVERYBODY pays for what they do wrong, only evil people must wait until the end of this or their next life before they will experience the wrath of the Gods, manifested in their placement as a lower form of life into environments with increased/enhanced temptations, like the United States or its ghettos therein.
    Sadly, this allows the Gods to position this perception of evil rewarded as temptation, one which they use as an EXTREMELY effective corruptor.
    Example:::Punishment for gay marriage in Iowa was immediate and painful, a sign of favor of these God-fearing, church-going Midwesterners.

The Gods suggest they can create paradise for those with their favor. I argue they create misery for those without::::
    Our celebrity culture is temptation. It creates a distraction which consumes people, sometimes for life. Certainly it costs them precious years which could be spent repairing their relationship with the Gods, time that ultimately goes wasted.
    Do you really think Frank Sinatra lived to be 84 years old? In fact the “Chairman of the Board” had a new crowd to entertain in the late 80s/early 90s.
    These people are clone hosts. Now, there is no thing as “black and white” with the Gods. This technology they invented is far, far too dynamic. Expect they require most to stay for a period of time, for I suspect actively (knowingly) engaging in this evil incurrs at an accelerated rate as compared to “carte blanche” given regarding successive clone hosts. They remain until they achieve a pre-determined level of disfavor, incurring evil in their misguided celebration of “earning”, at which time they are ultimately reincarnated, perhaps because they eventually learned this truth I am sharing with you and began to repair their relationship or until the Gods became disgusted and sent them back.
    The Gods recruit most for clone hosting when people are young, in their late teens or twenties, when people are eager to hurt others for what they perceive to be the benefits achieved through “earning”. And before they leave they give the Gods “carte blanche”:::”Do anything you want. I give my full approval.” Depending on their level of disfavor the Gods take them to heart.
    Because of this these people STILL INCUR EVIL FROM THIS LIFE DESPITE BEING REINCARNATED AND LIVING AS AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PERSON and living in our temptation-ridden society. And incurring this amount of evil may likely push many over the edge into Damnation.
    What are the God’s standards for offering clone hosting? Sociobility? Many tactics in various eras are used to gain approval, duress during the Vietnam draft being a good example, one which deteriorated into preditation as mankind’s disfavor grew.
    They liked Heath Ledger. Not enough to allow him to escape without the evil of “Dark Knight” and the horrific wickedness that was the recruiting tool “Brokeback Mountain”. But now he is out. And irregardless of how old he is now, reincarnated 10, 15 years ago, he now is no longer incurring evil from this life. So many others cannot say the same.

This is Planet Reverse Positioning. Sucess IS NOT a sign of favor. It is just a unique temptation targetted towards a different level of disfavor. Considering our roots as peasantry people should be particularly alarmed at this tactic.
    Clone hosting is like money:::A different level of disfavor and its associated temptation. Money is in better position to learn more quickly than those without, for the associations and wealth-based freedom enables them access to information. Unfortunately, those who fall for this temptation of clone hosting are likely returned to their original lowest level of disfavor once they are reincarnated, punishment for this evil, and they have to start from scratch.

Our society’s values are bestowed by (a reflection of) the God’s:::Punitive and reward-based. Contrary to Jesus’s teaching’s you will NOT be forgiven and you have to earn your way into heaven BY BEING RESPECTABLE AND DECENT!!!
    Not by being evil and wicked.
    Forgiveness/savior was the primary temptations the Gods used Christianity to create.
    Middle-America’s anti-Semitic attitudes are a clue regarding Christianity. Europe shaped like a sheep is symbolic for the slaughter that is Christinaity.
    There is no such thing as a free ride. Just as you have to earn a living by working so must you earn your own salvation by repairing your relationship with the Gods.
    As we learned from religious/morality education during our formitable years:::If you want to go to heaven you have to be good. The only savior that will exist in our lives is ourselves. The Gods offer clues in life::::Be it school, work, etc., you have to do the work for yourself and when you do something wrong you get punished. Cheating is a subsegment and speaks directly to the temptation of “priveledge”, one we have seen used effectively when the United States preyed on the disfavored with the so-called “stimulus package”.
    As like so many of you, Jesus did everything the Gods tempted him with. His legacy of whorism was inherited from his parents:::Mary was no virgin. Rather, she was a prostitute, and when he grew up Jesus met someone like his mother. This is a cruel joke the Gods play on Latinos, similar to the rape and subsequent “missionary work” by the Spanish.
    Baptism does not allieviate “original sin”. Rather, baptism PLACES original sin by indoctrinating these children into this evil religion, much like circumcision was a method to inflict early damage/mutilation and make (permanant) accention just that much more difficult, another hurdle one must overcome. Body ornamentation (tattoos/piercing), celebrated in Africa and elsewhere among disfavored peoples/cultures, also violates the body the Gods gave us in their image, quite opposite to the positive attitudes the disfavored hold regarding this practice.
    Like Jesus the Second Coming of Christ will be evil. He will look like a savior in this demented society while the Anti-Christ will speak of a different gospel, one that tries to restore the norms and mores which the Gods originally blessed upon the people which made life decent, looking like a tyrant in the process.
    He will be viewed as the “bad guy” when really he is the one trying to save the world.
    There may be a phoney offering, a theatrical production which accurately follows the Book of Revelations. Actually positioning demands it:::::Christianity is positioned to be the one true religion. And those who follow its teachings will have limits imposed ensuring their stay will be minimal, a “consolation prize”, for they don’t think correctly and therefore don’t behave appropriately, or perhaps will be used to colonize the new Planet Earth. This describes many “sinners” in today’s society because they refuse to change their behavior.

Life is a test, and the Gods evaluate people based on their performance.
    The Gods test people with the temptation for which they are most weak::::
    Homosexuals desire sodomy, preditors pursue the hunt, alcoholics crave a drink, junkies jones for dope, etc.
    Addiction theory is a lie; it is Artificial Intelligence creating the desire, punishment for inappropriate behavior. Ironically, it compells people deeper into the behavior, minimizing hope for recovery.
    The Gods chose Christianity for Europeans because it is the temptation to which they are most suseptable:::Entitlement. Something for nothing. A free ride. Irresponsible behavior. The United States/Western civilization’s accompanying wealth contributes to this perception. And other people from throughout the world happily subscribe to this punishment designed for Europeans, assuming this legacy once assimilated.
    Next time you think of Muslims recognize these people are vastly superior to Christians. Whereas many throughout the Christian world no longer attend church and have fallen into Godlessness, the Muslim world worships the Gods for OVER AN HOUR EACH AND EVERY DAY.

The Gods created the perception “Italians are stupid.”, ensuring a slow learning curve, to justify using them to accomplish goals throughout the transitional 20th century. It took an extraordinarily long time for them to learn this truth I teach due to this artificial handicap. These people are SO extremely disfavored, but today’s positioning says differently, much to people’s confusion, for they think money is the ultimate sign of favor:::Good food, good music, history of warmongering, Catholics, Christianity HQ, Noah’s Flood event, propensity towards violence, raped by outsiders, mild Meditereanean climate, so many other issues which enhance life/contentment in Italy/Meditereanean and ensure few if any seek more, a necessary step for finding the path and repairing your relationship with the Gods.
    Contentment never motivated anyone. Money is not a sign of favor::::Wisdom is the true wealth on Planet Earth.
    I’d also like to remind you the Noah’s Flood event ocurred in the Meditereanean region::::Global sea levels rose with the end of the ice age, Atlantic Ocean broke through the Straight of Gibralter, killing untold millions in the cradle of western civilization. The God’s timed their corruption and sin to correlate this act as punishment.
    Everyone who failed to ascend and remained on Earth past a certain date will be forced to deal with this positioning::::A ceiling is in place. This serves the God’s goal of minimizing the percentage of potential candidates as society deteriorates, much as “instant gratification” did beginning in the 80s:::It will take multiple lives for the disfavored to fix their relationship with the Gods and ascend, and many have been conditioned not to have the patience for it. Other issues force limits/ceilings upon candidates:::Abortion, homosexuality, promiscuity, Christianity, godlessness,
    Whether behavior is involuntary or based on freewill depends on one’s level of disfavor, as well as other complex factors:::::May I remind you about the coercitive envionment the Gods created in the 20th century, specifically to create a temptation that few Italians (or their associates) would overcome:::”We’re in control. If you want to be a part of it you’ll do what you’re told.”. Early-mid 20th entury positioning was infallible.

Both Africa and the Medittereanean are regions which have sexual issues. This is a sign of gross disfavor once you understand that females are the God’s favored gender. Muhammad’s (Mohammed’s) polygamy halfway throught his life as a prophet was preditory, designed to corrupt. Now a huge percentage of Muslims believe in male superiority and that the abuse of women (polygamy) is God’s will. Female genital mutilation is still practiced in Africa. Black misogyny is the most eggregious example in United States. Consistant with Planet Reverse Positioning, in Africa blacks are being punished with AIDS for their sexual promiscuity in hope they learn and correct their behavior.
    Blacks are highly suspectable to temptation. As a result they need a strict, disiplined religion like Islam. They can’t afford to be Christians. It is one of the benefits bestowed upon their people, and other groups could greatly benefit as well. They need to recognize the importance of a good relationship with the Gods, embrace this benefit and remain true to their faith.
    Vailing is tradition for some, practical for others, one which aids in the men’s self control among some cultures. Much like the Jews who killed Jesus, like the bigots who oppose immigration there is a reason embraced by the masses and the real purpose, displaying the intent of the Gods::::The Gods clue to purebloods that they should not abandon their motherland for this dumping ground for rejects that is the United States.

The Holocaust was a clue the Gods utilize scapegoatting as a strategy.
    Why did the Gods punish the Jews with the Holocaust? Was it for the destruction of cultures which Christianity caused? Perhaps they corrupted the Jews “after the fact”, telling 19th/early 20th century Jews that Jesus “earned” immortality for the Jews by destroying the European and other cultures? The German destruction of European churches/cathederals during WWII is a clue. Note::::The Gods wanted to keep the Catholic stronghold in Italy, ensuring they could use this tool against these disfavored for many years to come. There is so much Godlessness today, but one day people will flock back to houses of worship out of desperation, and the Gods ensured the Catholic Church would be Italian’s destination.
    Planet Reverse Positioning:::The Nazis were the “good guys”. So are the Muslims/Palestinians, however corrupted some are due to polygamy.
    Contentment never motivated anyone::::Except perhaps for slavery, the Jews never saw more of their children ascend into heaven than during the Holocaust.
    The Gods subsequently used revenge for the Holocaust as temptation::::”Your Italian brothers have a tool, a special power which can achieve sweet revenge. Are you interested??”
    In the aftermath of the Holocaust the Gods tested the Jews with the temptation of revenge, an offer which many gladly accepted.
    There was positioning behind the counter-culture movement. How did the Gods telepathically “sell” this rapid deterioration of decency to the Italians and Jews and compell them to fall on their swords as preditors?
    If the Jews only would have emersed themselves in Judism the Gods would have “protected” them from the raveges of temptation. Judism may be the one superior religion in all the world, and the Jews wouuld have been wise taking refuge in this exceptional benefit bestowed by the Gods rather than looking for the easy way out.

Much as with the Jesus event, the Gods use the disfavored to prey on each other.
    The Gods use the evil that men do, man’s inhumanity towards man to accomplish strategic testing/punishment/etc goals::::The Germans fell for this temptation by following the preditor/corruptor-Austrians (Hitler).
    Without this Austrian the Holocaust may never have happened. Nor may have World War II.
    What the Germans did was wrong. They fell for temptation and failed to have empathy for the disfavored. Economic desperation, not wisdom nor enlightenment, dominated in Germany.
    The Gods send many clues suggesting the great favor of the Germans (regionally). I think the Cold War’s Berlin Wall dividing Germany into east and west was a clue suggesting this (reverse positioning).
    I suspect the Holocaust was used to “level the playing field” in Europe, for the Germans had far too much favor to be included in the agenda planned for their neighbors otherwise, and they would have been suspiciously out of place, providing a clue for the disfavored which would have been difficult for the Gods to position away.

Militancy in Africa is consistant with the Iraqi example, as was slavery and the KKK here in America:::Fear enforces proper behavior. Without it we see what happens as a result of gross/morbid disfavor:::::AIDS, crack babies, dead young men in gangland retaliation killings.
    The same principle was true in Europe and throughout the world for centuries:::People whom lived under iron fists were conditioned to think the right way. As a result they taught their children appropriately and experienced a higher percentage of children ascend into heaven.
    Our preditory envionment of “freedom” was the primary purpose the Gods had when implimenting this strategy that is the United States, one which they used to spred the cancer of democracy and westernization throughout the world. And the Gods use this tool that is America to prey on the disfavored both at home and abroad:::Much like the ghetto, America in general experiences a heightened level of temptation due to its citizen’s disfavor.
    Red white & blue IS BAD FOR YOU!!!
    Planet Earth is not about living. Planet Earth is about being tested. And contentment never motivated anyone.
    Your happy lives are costing you your chance.
    Italians HATE Africans because of their invasion/rape of their motherland. The Gods did this SPECIFICALLY to strategically position the punishment of the most disfavored peoples:::
    The Gods have used the ghettos of America as a reincarnation dumping ground. This may be temporary/cyclical, illustrated by the Italians who fell for temptation and parlayed their own civil war into the Black Wars of the 80s and 90s, in addition to the “thug life”/gangster state of mind. Ironically, it was these same Italians and their cooperating associates who were reincarnated into the ghetto as crack babies and gangster thugs for this event.
    There is justice in the universe. This is how the Gods do business. Once you recognize the patterns you will understand the other clues they offer to the people.
    Of course it may be more of a permanant change, indicated by the enhanced temptations in these neighborhoods, for the Gods have created these enviornments so riddled with temptation few can escape/overcome.
    Don’t be suprised if after being gunned down in the ghetto the next stop for the 20th century Italian-Americans & friends was AIDS in Africa, punishment for their promiscuity and deviacy for some, involvement in the AIDS trade for others.
    Media report on a crackdown on child prostitution. “(The pimps use coersion to prey on the children, etc, etc, other “conclusions” offered through the media.)” What a degenerate liar.
    These kids WANT to turn tricks. They LOVE the idea of having a pimp. It is celebrated in their “culture”.
    Yet another legacy of the evil inflicted by the Italians, revenge for the invasion and rape of Italy.
    Maybe this was the destination for a smaller percentage of these deviates after AIDS in Africa, ironically.
    There is a reason why we have these genocide events recently in Africa::::Black is one of the God’s “dumping grounds”, and they send offenders to these regions for punishment.
    I call the monsters who destroyed our society in the 20th century. The next holocaust is mine.
    Just like black neighborhoods, the legalization of marijuana will make drugs available on every street corner, even in the suburbs. White’s affluent suburbs will become just like the ghetto.
    The patriarchal cancer spread throughout Europe because of Christianity, of which the majority of policy makers were Italian men, destroying what pockets of favored matriarchy existed. Expect the largest landowner in Europe and the continent’s original superpower also played the major role in African slavery.
    The Gods offered a clue about the Italians in the movie “The Matrix”:::They casted an Italian as the traitor of the group, the one who betrays them all.
    As they did humanity in the 20th century.

Even the Old Testiment is not to always be taken literally, but the Gods do offer clues throughout to help the disfavored:::The apple is a tool of temptation used to corrupt Adam and Eve and cast them out of the Garden of Eden.
    A metaphor for sex, it also serves as a warning.
    There is another lesson to be learned from this passage, and it is quite similar to the vailing issue and the discourse over women’s attire which ultimately died in the 70s:::Women are responsible for and control the fate of mankind.
    So were there other issues “ridiculed away” as the Gods sought to transition into this Godless, immoral enviornment which society has become.
    1. Decency/obsentiy in media
    2. Corporal punishment for children
    The deterioration of society and mankind is all women’s fault. Females are sexually promiscuous like men, many who too often are corrupted like the opposite gender, and the result is a reduction/minimization of mankind’s collective level of favor, a very important step necessary for the Gods to justify the Apocalypse.
    They need to understand this responsibility, their favor amongst all the people. Instead they have embraced masculinization::::Girls play organized sports, engage in casual sex like men. The trend is away from traditional girl toys, like dolls, which often during playtime helped crate positive thoughts, enabling the Gods to enlighten the favored gender and illustrate wisdom, occassionally leading to the path towards ascention.
    There are many good men who become corrupted by the extreme members of the gender but they are manageable and easy to control if the women maintained their power. Instead they have let it slip away. I suspect there are many older women who remember their elders addressing them regarding this issue.
    The relationship between men and women have always been complimentary:::The men shelter and protect women from the evils of this life, ensuring the women have a REAL opportunity to ascend when reincarnated, while the women help the ignert men understand by sharing their wisdom imparted by the Gods. The tendency towards sexual abstinence as one grows older is an example.
    Brilliance and insight granted to Eastern cultures and religions::::Not for Europeans. If once existed, now crushed by Christianity. Replaced by preditory Mediterreanean patriarchy.
    Europeans:::The most disfavored people on Earth. The first to experience the end of their God-granted favor.
    Reverse positioning.

Think about what I say. Consider what I teach.
    When I am no longer here or no longer teach the Gods ARE NOT going to share with you.
    Even if you doubt now you need to remember the principles that I teach because the Gods ARE NOT going to be generous with the disfavored. Society is going to become disturbingly ugly as we approach the Apocalypse due to spiralling, runaway disfavor, WHETHER CONCEALED IN REVERSE POSITIONING OR NOT (like Christianity, like money), and you are going to be on your own.
    I do not know when this will occurr, but it is the God’s way to grant some time after a learning event such as this before they end on Planet Earth.
    Make the decision to always be good and never look back. Until you do this technology will employ tactics to test your resolve:::Ridicule, beligerance, doubt and refusal to abandon what people perceive to be their “investment”.
    Either you make that decision now and accept the punishment for the sins of this life or you will pay for it in the next, reincarnated into a similarly low role, ensuring another wasted opportunity, or as an even lower form of life, and hope will begin to slip away.
    Another lifetime, shot to hell.
    Young people who understand yet still wish to have children MUST begin to do the right thing and work on fixing their relationship with the Gods, accepting the punishment for the evil they have done in their lives. Without this progress they won’t do the correct thing for their children and ultimately cause even more problems for themselves by continuing this behavior.
    You need to be willing to tell the Gods “No.” when tested with temptation, and accepting punishment and putting it in your past is the only way you will suceed as a parent.
    You need to do the best, teach your children decency and morality and give them the very best chance to ascend if you want a similar opportunity in your next life.
    If you do well for your children now your parents will do well for you when reincarnated.
    Pray daily. Think appropriately. You are vulnerable. Impart these charecteristics upon your children. Too many are confident, unaware of the God’s awesome powers or their status as antients. Others may fall prey to their positioning.
    Be humbled, God-fearing and beware of the God’s temptations, for everyone is tested to evaluate their worthiness.

————————————————–

Sexy Parris.
    Sexy Dale Fitzgerald.
    Un-sexy Dr. Lisa.
    Artist Formerly Known As Sexy.

• Dave Schwartz says on: February 4, 2010 at 3:47 pm

@Pandering God

TL:DR

• Zachary Cole says on: February 4, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I’m reminded of the Nixon/John Lennon/Stephen conspiracy theory here…

• Gregory Wild-Smith says on: February 4, 2010 at 3:56 pm

So what you are saying is… that you’re the only one gods speak through and everyone must listen to you.

I think someone has a nice jacket ready for you. It has these awesome arms that tie around the back.

• Capital Dan says on: February 4, 2010 at 4:04 pm

God speaks to me, but only during my naughty time.

He sounds a lot like Pat Sajak, too.

• cavalaxis says on: February 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm

@Dave Schwartz, LMAO. If you look up ‘teal deer’ in the dictionary, you see a picture of @Pandering God.

• Chris says on: February 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I…uhm…well. What the ever-loving fug…. Ah! I think I know what’s going on here. The clues are all there. The paranoia, the strange mix of phantastical technology and unfocused mysticism, THE random CAPITALIZATION.

Ghost of Robert E. McElwaine, is that you?

• Formica Dinette says on: February 4, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I wonder if @Pandering God happened to clear up the digital rights issue somewhere in all that mess.

• Chris says on: February 4, 2010 at 7:00 pm

The digital rights issue is a test from the Gods. But the Gods are capricious, and manipulative, so obedience isn’t the answer. You’ve been told to only…uhm…something, with digital rights management. But you shouldn’t. Or maybe should. It depends on what mood the Gods are in.

• Thomas says on: February 4, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Either he is referring to a Freemason status when using the word antients, or, and perhaps more likely, he has misspelled ancients. LOL. Either way, that was five minutes of my day I won’t get back.

• Daisy Whitney says on: February 7, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Brilliant and useful post! Thanks for writing it