I’m still working like crazy, but still clinging to that New Year’s Resolution and writing every day. Sometimes it’s only a few hundred words, but I’m hanging in there. It’ll be a lot easier (and I’ll be a lot more prolific) when I’m out from under these Fort Freak edits. They are EPIC. And a little frightening. But they’re going to make for a huge improvement.
So! I think now’s the time to go ahead and debut the first word-metrics of the year, with regards to Hellbent — since that’s the only fiction project for which I’m composing new words at this time.* Ergo, voila. Here are this year’s stats on my second vampire adventure — this time with my neurotic thief, her shady agent, a cigar box full of magical penis bones, a mentally ill former NASA engineer-turned-sorceress, and the continued fabulosity of a Cuban drag queen:
Deadline: August 9, 2010
New Words Written: 5421
Present Total Word Count: 5421
Darling duJour: “The busker leaned into the lyrics of ‘Yellow’ like each word was a hook to be extracted from his eyelids.”
Things Accomplished in Fiction: Introduction; some recap from previous book; introduction of the weaselly but hilarious little agent; a rather alarming number of dick jokes.
Things Accomplished in Real Life: Wrapped up a day-job project and received another one to replace it; did my usual run/exercise — at which I am seriously no good whatsoever, but I’m working on it; spent all afternoon plowing through “Remember the Rathole” on which I wrote one full new section and seriously amended two others; regretfully declined my fifth invitation to blurb a book this year – which is mostly notable because I don’t think I even got five requests last year (and usually I try to say “yes,” but I’m totally swamped right now); that’s pretty much it.
And because every time I start posting these stats again, a dozen people pipe up wanting to know where I got my word-stat bar — here you go. Get one of your very own, and tally away.
In other news, I suppose I shall leave you with a links round-up before taking a few minutes to just sit on the couch and drink cheap red wine for an hour or two because I BELIEVE I DESERVE IT. Ahem.
- “Tanglefoot” reprint — Got word last night that Ann and Jeff VanderMeer are picking up my novelette “Tanglefoot” for their STEAMPUNK RELOADED anthology! I, for one, am tickled well beyond pink. I’m tickled … like … fuchsia or something. Excessively tickled, anyway. That’s for damn sure.
- Chiarascuro reviews Boneshaker – As a matter of full disclosure, I used to review for these very fine folks. But I don’t read for them anymore, and I had no idea they were going to review Boneshaker, much less that they would like it.
- Shiny Shelf also tackles Boneshaker – Poking it with a friendly stick.
- See also, AdamChristopher.co.uk – Where Boneshaker is declared one of the site’s top “awesome and radical” titles of the year … right next to Stephen King, like I’m gonna complain about that.
- This really did happen the other day – Though I wasn’t scared, just surprised. They shanghaied me in the midst of looking around for my missing husband; and frankly, I’m just not accustomed to being recognized, so it always throws me for a tiny loop when it happens. They were very cool, though!
* That’s not strictly true. I’ve written one new section for “Remember the Rathole,” (the Fort Freak contribution; and added about 2000 words here, there, and elsewhere in that manuscript. But I’m also removing a lot as I go, so it’s much harder to track.